Thursday, March 6, 2008

Now Try This... Coffee

I have edited this for brevity, it was long and ridiculous before, now it is only short and ridiculous.

Make instant coffee with Nescafe Instant Coffee (no other brands, I am familiar with this one). Use the regular 'brand', not decaf, not the 'Gold' label, not the 'Green ' label. Just the regular brand. Put 1 teaspoon of Nescafe into a cup of hot water (~180 ml), add heaping teaspoon of white sugar. Stir. Smell from 30 cm away (not breathe deeply, just smell).

If done properly, that is what I smell from the Americano I made (see note below) from a distance of about 1-2 meters.

Since I realized this I've often wondered if that's what Nescafe roasters have been aiming, consciously or not.

_____________________

NOTE: How I made my Americano...

1-7 day old Costa Rica SHB Tarrazu Dota roasted to City+. Add 300 ml of hot water into a mug. Grind for double espresso. Dose. Distribute. Tamp. Pull shot straight into the mug. I used a Toper roaster, Mazzer Super Jolly grinder and La Marzocco Linea 3EE espresso machine. Overkill. I often get chocolate or nut scents when I'm about 2-3 meters away. I sometimes catch a whiff of a Nescafe instant coffee with lots of sugar about a meter away.