Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Point & Shoot Digital Cameras

The other day I was chasing the kids with our new Panasonic DMC-TZ3 digital point & shoot camera around the yard snapping photos as soon as I get focus lock.

It was during one of the chases that I realized I did not, will not, cannot do this with my old Canon 10D DSLR (still much functional).

I also realized what fun it was.

True, damn digicams focus slowly, shutter lags badly, you'll never know where it is focusing, the flash produces horrendous photos, lens distort badly at either end of the zoom range, and other maddening maladies that abound in this sort of device. Real Photographic Men, pundits, and those with fetishes on instruments of photography laugh and deride at these 'toys'.

But.

I was able to take photos.

Photos that I might not otherwise have because I left my wonderfully fast, accurate, sharp digital single lens reflex camera and it's myriad of heavy lenses in my car, at home, in the hotel, on the boat... or down in the dungeon.