Friday, May 2, 2008

La Marzocco Linea 3EE

Conventional wisdom (rule of thumb, if you prefer) says that to re-heat a Linea to working temperature on should flush about 180 ml (6 oz).

I have never gotten it to work.

I feel it overheats the PF while leaving the grouphead not quite at the desired temperature.

I feel it wastes water, all the more costly for me since I only use mineral water.

But if I do two to three shots, the third or fourth is ok. Not the greatest but better than shots one to two or three.

But I do not want to waste coffee by pulling two or three dump shots.

Last week, in a fit of sleeplessness, I had an inspiring moment: why not lock in the PF with a blind basket and do a backflush? Why not two or three backflush?

Why not?

I did and it works.

The technique: just do a two or three or four backflush.

How often depends on how hot I think the machine is. Cooler? Three to four backflush. Hotter? Two backflush. I do not remove the PF between backflushes.

How long? Dunno... Sometimes I let it go on for 5 to 10 seconds, sometimes I just wait for it to go full pressure then end it.

Now I dump less coffee than before.