Sunday, June 22, 2008

Quest For A Dumb-Down Database

I am looking for a Microsoft Access-like database to use on my 4-year old Apple iBook G4.

I passed on Neoffice Base. Too slow.

I passed on Open Office Base. X11 makes it too slow.

I wanted to try Kexi on Ubuntu 8.04. I got Ubuntu running Live after a while, I needed to pick just the right two options.

But I could not get it to work with my USB wi-fi dongle, the ever problematic Dlink DWL-G122 series with Ralink chipset.

So...

I am now in the process of installing Glom with Macports.

I passed both Macports and Glom before because it, uh..., takes too much work to install...

It has taken five days...

Day 1: Download Apple Xcode 3.0. Install failed, doesn't work on Mac OS X 10.4.

Day 2: Download Apple Xcode 2.5. Install failed, corrupt download.

Day 3: Download Apple Xcode 2.5, again. Installed successfully.

Day 4: Download Macports 1.6.0, Installed successfully. But ran into a problem in Terminal typing [%% sudo ports selfupdate] to check on the install resulted in 'command not found' error. Finally found a blog that explained why (omissions in Macports 1.6.0, to be fixed in 1.6.1). Now I need to do PATH everytime I want to use Macports in Terminal.

Day 5: Attempting install of Glom, 4 hours and counting... After 7 hours, nothing. I ended up with some errors regarding acitve Perl5.8 port.

Looks like tomorrow is another day of slogging through bug filings...